We have collected a list of three reliable online resources that will help you identify some quick, do-it-yourself tips to cut your air conditioning energy use this summer.
ENERGY STAR is a government-run program designed to help homeowners easily identify energy-saving products. They produce the ENERGY STAR label, which is awarded to high efficiency heating, cooling, plumbing, and electrical products shown to significantly reduce energy use.
The ENERGY STAR website has a large section dedicated to reducing your energy bills and many of the tips will help you save on your cooling costs.
- Cooling Challenge – Great DIY tips as well as ways you can reduce your cooling costs by purchasing qualified ENERGY STAR products.
- Using Your Programmable Thermostat – A video that helps you understand the benefits of a programmable thermostat and also walks you through its basic functions.
- Home Advisor – An online tool that gives you advice on how to improve the energy efficiency of your entire home.
Like ENERGY STAR, Energy Savers is a government program. As a division of the U.S. Department of Energy, Energy Savers is a great resource for ways to save on your Framingham area home’s energy costs.
- Tips: Air Conditioners – Helpful, everyday things you can do (like using an interior fan) to help you save on your cooling costs.
- Energy Savers Guide
– A downloadable PDF that walks you through different ways to cut your home’s energy use. For air conditioning savings, check out the sections on air leaks and insulation, heating and cooling, and windows.
As Framingham’s local utility company, NSTAR has a wide range of available online resources designed to help you cut your energy use. The tools we found especially helpful on NSTAR’s website were interactive calculators that help you determine exactly how much money you will save by performing specific actions.
These online resources will help you diagnose areas in your home that may be wasting your energy. For more detailed information on increasing the efficiency of your home, contact Nicholson plumbing, heating, and air conditioning online or by calling 508-858-5476.